Mining and Tunneling Solutions
The Leader in Mining Vehicle Customization
Every underground mine is different. That's why Irwin Car and Equipment has the ability to customize every mining vehicle we manufacture.
To maximize uptime, we design our drive trains exclusively to move your locomotive up and down the track. In contrast, competitors purchase drive trains made for construction equipment and front-end loaders, then re-work them for locomotives. The result is inconsistent performance that reduces productivity.
Other advantages to our mining vehicles include:
- Easily accessible dry disc brake systems that don't require major disassembly
- Suspension systems that provide maximum trackability
- Maintenance-friendly machine design
- Ergonomic cab design for maximum comfort, safety and visibility
- State-of-the-art IGBT control system that delivers maximum power from start to stop
Double-Duty Personnel Carriers Mean Better Value for You
Our dual-purpose personnel carriers can be equipped with couplers, which allow them to double as locomotives between shifts.
Additionally, our 3-point equalizer suspension system maximizes on-track time, our heavy-duty drive trains, ergonomically designed seating with lumbar support to reduce fatigue and state-of-the-art IGBT control make our personnel carriers the industry leaders.
We also offer underground mining equipment that is explosion-proof and MSHA-approved for use in environments with high gas concentrations.
With the endorsement of the Federal Mine Safety and Health Administration, you know that our underground mining equipment is safe to operate and enables your workforce to maximize productivity.
If you need the peace-of-mind that explosion-proof and flame-resistant equipment offer, turn to us.
Rail-Based Equipment That Stands Up to the Job
For tunneling jobs that require high-performance equipment, depend on our muck, Granby, roof support ballast and pump cars. By offering the industry’s best value, they give you the running life you’ve come to expect from Irwin Car and Equipment locomotives.
We also have a large inventory of wheels, wheel assemblies, power transmission components and bearings so you can schedule equipment repairs that maximize your uptime. At Irwin Car and Equipment, all of our tunneling equipment is rugged, dependable, innovative and cost-effective.
Key features and benefits of our Muck Cars include:
- Fabricated of mild steel or high tensile corrosion-resistant steel
- Integral channel-type stiffeners give extra strength without excess weight
- Locking devices make dumping easy
- Always rides on pivot points
- Available in 4- or 8-wheel construction for any track gauge, in any size or capacity.
Important features and benefits of our Granby Cars are:
- Self-cleaning design for easy dumping
- Sandwiched hardwood-lined floors or deck plate
- Usable with “camel back” or simple hydraulic dump
- Available in a variety of sizes to suit any length, width, height and track gauge
Our Ballast Cars offer:
- Individually adjusted discharge doors
- 4- or 8-wheel construction
- Can be built to any length, width, height or capacity
Our Storage Battery Locomotives are:
- Available in sizes ranging from 2.0 to 30 tons for tunnels or mines of moderate grade, and for harsh industrial environments
- Available in one- and two-motor drive assemblies
- Easy to operate due to maintenance-free solid state controllers with electric braking and a long-lasting battery
Our Diesel/Hydraulic Locomotives:
- Operate at higher speeds than electric designs
- Are available in sizes ranging from 2.0 to 40 tons
- Are equipped with single-speed, constant mesh transmission if unit is 15 tons or smaller
- Are equipped with multi-speed transmission if unit is larger than 15 tons